Saturday, January 25, 2014

Prague reflections

The land of Smetana, Dussek, Dvorak et al was a great experience.  I took great pleasure in seeing the faces of my students when they were confronted by something wonderful.  And they really get just how wonderful it was.  Even Melanie who is only non-music major.  In her defense, she is a wonderful clarinetist and knows as much or more about music than many majors.  But she had a nice side trip to the Kafka Musuem too and I am sure she will tell you about it.

Probably my favorite moment thus far was the feeling I got standing in front of the original manuscripts of Beethoven's Eroica, 5th and Pastoral Symphonies.  I have always been a great admirer of these works and I knew they were dedicated to Prince Lobkowitz.  And there is the famous story about how Beethoven was writing the Eroica for Napoleon but when he declared himself Dictator, he changed.  But the strange feeling that came over me while seeing these original manuscripts on the old weathered paper...I all of a sudden couldn't speak and had goosebumps.  I just stood there for a very long time taking it in.  Then I looked to my right and saw Kai (famous for his take it easy state of mind) doing his version of the same thing.  It was really fantastic.  Here are a few more photos...


























No comments:

Post a Comment