Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Great concerts and The gummy bear

The past couple of nights have been amazing. The concerts at the Mozarteum have been a pleasant surprise- these ensembles are phenomenal! The Salzburg Camerata concert was my second most impressive and favorite this entire trip. Those guys know how to play Mozart- full of energy and spunk! They were so in sync with each other, they barely needed the conductor-who was fabulous to watch! you could really tell he enjoyed what he was doing. The same goes for all the performers. They loved an were fully committed to what they were doing. It was such a fun concert to attend! The Mozarteum orchestra concert was fabulous as well- they also really enjoyed playing immensely. However the conductor was a bit... Odd. I'll let others explain! 
The night of this concert was the night of the gummy bear quest. At the concert the night before I had this idea to put a gummy bear on one of the performers stands at intermission (we were so close to the stage, it would be easy!) so tonight I decided to do it! At all intermissions here pretty much everyone leaves the hall to get fancy refreshments, so intermission was the perfect time to do the deed. The 2nd violin concert master was my victim. Melanie and Caleb were my wingmen. They stood up and we non-chalantly shuffled to the stage and commenced fake conversation. Green gummy bear in hand, I reached over to the stand, acted like I was looking at the music, and placed the confection. It was done- there was no going back.

 For the rest of intermission I sat in my seat and ran through every worst-case-scenario in my head. Kai said I would get in trouble for malicious placements of confectionary sweets. What if he thought it was rude and threw it away? What if someone saw and I got kicked out! Arrested! Deported! 
Luckily, none of those things happened. Actually, what happened was exactly what I was hoping would happen! The ensemble came back on stage. My heart pounding from the suspense of his reaction, I hid behind my program as to not look suspicious. The sweet gummy went unnoticed for a bit, then his stand partner pointed quizzically at the gummy bear with the tip of her bow. He looks down at it and they both look at each other, chuckle and shrug. The man picks up the gummy bear, and pops it in his mouth! Smiling the whole time. It. Was. Legendary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment