Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How do I love thee Salzburg...

This trip seems to be going by so quickly! At first I was really worried about being homesick since I've never been so far away and for so long. Every place we travel to I want to share with my family, but I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything! It is crazy to think we have less than a week left and one more place to go. Tomorrow we leave for Vienna, but we are making the most out of our time here in Salzburg. 
Today was a free day! We woke up, had breakfast at the hostel, then some of us went to the oldest bakery to get delicious bread! After this we walked to the abbey where The Sound of Music was filmed (the inside, not the courtyard)! While we were there the other group met up and it was amazing because we heard nuns singing in another room!!! I quickly pulled out my phone and created a voice memo! It's a little quiet, but it worked! Then my group went and found the shop Fürst where we bought Mozart chocolates! The other 4 tried them and said they're pretty good. I decided to save mine for later so I'll have to take their word. Next we went to the Mozart cafe where Hannah Eger, Annalise King and I got goulash! Annalise and I got hot chocolate too! It was so great and the waiter was funny. If I went back to any restaurant it would probably be to this one. Seeing as how it's the Mozart cafe you would think the prices would be high, but they were very reasonable! After all this excitement the five of us decided it was time to go back to the hostel, pack for tomorrow, rest a bit, change for tonight's concert, then go back to town early. Annalise and I took Hannah and Caleb up to the monastery because they didn't go with us the other day! We had a lot of fun, and at the bottom of the hill we found a gummy candy store!!!!! It was called gummy paradise and it was. The minute we walked in until the minute we walked out the woman was giving us gummies to try. She also wouldn't let us buy anything without first tasting it! I loved that store. Then we met up with Taylor and went to dinner Steigl!!! I got a bratwurst and French fries with sprite! Then we walked over to the Mozarteum to meet with the test if the group to see the MozarteumOrchester! It was amazing! Again. I was in the first row and next to me was Dr. Powell in exactly the middle seat! There were (we think) a father and son who played cellos that sat right in front of me. The son was so fun to watch because he would just smirk at certain parts of the music and look at the dad or the concert master and they would smirk back. At the fast and loud parts he would smile big and shred his bow because he played so fast and hard. It was great! The soprano sounded gorgeous except she was busting out of her dress when she took a deep breath and her shoulders would rise and hide her neck a bit. The runs were do good and after one Mozart aria I turned to Dr. Powell and told him I wanted to song that song. The whole concert was great and I couldn't believe how fast it was over. Back at the hostel we are all on internet and getting ready to go to Vienna tomorrow. Off we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment