Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Döner Kebab: King of European Fast Food

I have discovered a new love: the döner kebab. It is essentially the Turkish version of the Greek gyro, and it is 101% delicious. Consisting of meat (sliced off of a giant hunk of meat on a stick), bread, salad, and various yogurt-y/garlicky sauces, it is one of the most perfect sandwiches that has ever been brought into existence, and it is everywhere here. Vienna has a stand on almost every street corner.

I sampled these little bread pouches of heaven in every city we visited. I tasted variations with lamb, beef, pork, and chicken (lamb is the best). I had them loaded with veggies and cheese. I had them filled almost entirely with mondo-sized portions of deliciously greasy and flavorful meat. I had them spicy, I had them mild. I had them with cheese and without. I even had them wrapped up in a tortilla. 

Every single time I was satisfied. Well... Except for in Prague. Their döner are somewhat lackluster compared with Germany and Austria. But regardless of taste, I never payed more than around €3 for a sandwich. Cheap, quick, absolutely delicious. 

-City with the best döner: Salzburg.
-City with the cheapest döner: all of them.
-City with the most döner: Vienna. It's everywhere here. There's even a 24 hour döner shack across the street from our hostel. Perfect.
-City that has no döner stands: Seattle. :( At least not that I've ever seen or heard of... I may have to start up a business. Needless to say, life will not be the same without them so readily at hand to satiate my hunger.

Now, time to go buy one at 2 in the morning before we leave for the airport...


No comments:

Post a Comment