Sunday, February 2, 2014

Oh happy days and fun times in Vienna

For our last day in Vienna we decided to go to the Museum of Fine Arts to look at more works of art. As we started looking through the museum, we realized that it would probably take a week to actually look though everything. The bottom floor of the Egyptian, Roman, Greek, and Hapsburg treasures just kept going on and on. I finally had to speed my way thigh or I would not have enough time to see the art work on the second floor. I made my way up and was awed by room after room full of renaissance paintings of masters such as Raphael, Strozzi, and Caravaggio. The was even a whole other section of the floor dedicated to works by Flemish painters such as Rembrandt and Vermeer. I stood right in front of The Art of Painting by Vermeer....wow!! Afterwards we ate a a delicious fancy Viennese restaurant named 3 Hocken. I had some of the best meatloaf and mashed potatoes I have ever had!

Everyone had been waiting in bated anticipation for the performance of Las Vegas Rhapsody we would be seeing that night. To see a performance of show tunes arranged by a Japanese jazz piano player for orchestra and a German vocalist singing in English in the Musikverein was going to be a crazy performance and we had no idea what to expect. Well I have to say it was a performance I am still processing a day after. The orchestra was fabulous with a conductor who had hair like Einstein and the vocalist loved to sing in falsetto and even make weird noises such as breathing heavily, sighing, or just singing vowels instead of the actual. Some songs that performed were Chim-Chim-Cheri (Mary Poppins), I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo, Luck Be a Lady, and My Favorite Things, just to name a few. I had my mouth open in disbelief the whole time becuase I could hardly take in what I was watching. Then at the end after the 1st encore where the vocalist sang Send in the Clowns (which was really good!), he came back up for a second encore, but all the sudden the conductor comes out with an instrument case. He brought out a clarinet and began in with a rendition of I've Got the World on a String. I could not believe what I was witnessing!!! It was the most surreal concert experience, but what a way to end this tour. We started with Gospel Singers and ended with Las Vegas....wow....we will be talking about this for a long long time!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment